Katey in Zambia

My adventures as a Peace Corps HIV/AIDS Project Volunteer in Zambia. *The contents of this blog are my own opinions and do not reflect those of the United States Peace Corps.*

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Training and Photos

I'm in Kitwe again, just like every Sunday, escaping the training program for one sweet day every week to visit the market and see electricity.
I think that I have uploaded pictures onto flickr which is linked to this blog, if not... I'll try again in a few weeks I guess!
Zambia is treating me well, its colder here than I expected, but in August it will start warming up, and the Eastern Province I hear is one of the warmest! I live with a host family right now... its interesting living under someone elses roof... well not really their roof, I have my own hut, but still.
Everything here is pretty slow as per all of Africa it seems. The most common saying is "Anytime from now" because no one wants to be wrong as to what time something will happen, and it sure won't happen quickly!
On my way into town the minibus I was on was stopped at two police checkpoints... which is common, but then we stopped a few more times, so a half hour journey turned into an hour and it was pretty strange there for a while, not gonna lie! Can't really explain it, but we did get lots of strange looks with the muzungu (white foreigner) in the front seat the whole way.. ha! Well, since the journey was so long, I am running late to meet a friend to buy food at the market to make an American meal for our host families.
I miss everyone very much... and some of you ECHEM.. J.Ho...G-fizza... Justin... etc... need to send me your addresses, I have letters with stamps on them, but no addresses!!
All my love from across the world,
Katey

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures Katey! Send more. (for those of you who want to catch another glimps of Katey, go to www.espector.blogspot.com Her pictures include some of Katey walking down a dirt road with some kids.)
Keep up the great work Katey. You'll get to the eastern province soon enough. Enjoy every second.
We love you.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice place! totally makes me want to travel... i can almost feel those dusty trails.

watch out for snakes.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey now, I don't have an address yet because i don't know what my address will be in the next month. --justin

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos, Katey King. I am sending you some too. I like your bed sheets. They are pretty. Just like me. And you.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That previous anonymous is from me. Tricia.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh good katey, i'm so glad you posted another blog. i check every day (bored at work) and love the updates. AND the pictures. your hut is adorable. miss you much.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is SO weird, Katey. I was in Malawi with Peace Corps starting last October until January. And... I learned Tumbuka in training because my site was to be the north of Malawi. I bet your experience is fairly similar to what mine was. You should totally go visit Peace Corps Malawi and stay in their Volunteer transit house in Lilongwe. Or go to the lake on vacation... I suggest the north, at Nkhata Bay. Do they have cell phone service in Zambia? Almost everyone in my group got a cell phone. All the luck in the world, or as they say in Tumbuka, Viweme Vyose (all the best), and my email is dawnflower17@hotmail.com if you ever need anything.
-Dawn Moody, Douglas County 2002

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home