Katey in Zambia

My adventures as a Peace Corps HIV/AIDS Project Volunteer in Zambia. *The contents of this blog are my own opinions and do not reflect those of the United States Peace Corps.*

Sunday, December 09, 2007

... and then I got Malaria

First of all, sorry for not updating, I know some of you are a bit angry!
The past few months I had a seminar in Lusaka and spent Thanksgiving in Livingstone with all of my volunteer friends from my district (PCVs and VSOs). It was a blast, we went to visit our friend you used to volunteer in Lundazi, but moved down to Livingstone. We had a feast, hung out, and hitched in the sleeper cab of a semi (the best hitch I have ever had!)
As far as work goes, there are some kind folks back home who wanted to help in some way with the work I am doing here. After much thought I decided that the most sustainable use for their donations would be to purchase a sewing machine and textile inputs for a small business. The business will be owned by a group of people who all work with HIV in my area. They are people living with HIV, home-based care givers, and orphan care givers. If all goes well, they will be sewing and selling school uniforms, school bags, purses, you name it! Ill keep you updated on the prospects folks! Anyway, the sewing machine has been purchased and is waiting to be transported the 30km from town. Next step: the kind students of my hometown will be working on a humanitarian project regarding microfinance and their practical application will be funding this particular microfinance activity. I'm excited for all the adventure and ups and downs that this project will surely bring! It is my biggest project yet!
When I was sitting in my hut, I wasn't sure what else I would write about, and thought that this would be a really boring blog entry... and then I got Malaria. In the end, my one piece of advice is: DON'T GET MALARIA! It was aweful, I thought I was dying! At 330am in my hut I had to prick my finger and make a blood slide to send to Lusaka. Then at 530 am I wobbled out of my house and spoke few words in Tumbuka to relay the message that I needed a vehicle to pick me up and take me to town as I couldn't walk much past my own latrine, let alone to the clinic to arrange my own transport or call town to arrange it! Two kind men from my village ran to the clinic, found a mini bus (that usually isnt working.. so i was very lucky). It came back, picked me up from my front door (where I was lying on the concrete floor...suffering) and took me to town. In town I stayed with my VSO friends and worked on keeping food down, lowering my 104 fever, and trying to have coherent thought. When these 3 things were accomplished and I was still feeling aweful, I got on a bus at 3am to travel 5 hours to Chipata where there is a PC House. From here I rested and recuperated and am feeling much better. I will survive! Thanks for everyone who has been thinking of me and contacting me to let me know so.
Now I begin a week long workshop for counterparts in Chipata, and then Im off on Christmas vacation! Woo hoo!


Post a Comment

<< Home